Trying out the Mclaren 570GT | Page 2 | McLarenChat
News

Trying out the Mclaren 570GT

Discussion in 'Sport Series (570S, 540C, 570GT, 600LT)' started by colonels, Jan 31, 2017.

1. colonels

colonels Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    copied from my AMG GTS forum post:

so put about 100 miles on city and highway

interior and exterior fit and finish top notch, better than huracan and on par with ferrari 458/cali for sure. i read some people thought it was cheap in the 570s but the GT has leather for days and it is glorious. the digital display is clean and crisp i actually prefer it to the huracan display it seems more thought out and i like the apple-like minimalistic designs and icons. the iris panel on center is more boring but works fast enough once you get the hang of it, took me all of 20 min to be an expert. the backup camera is way better than huracan and about the same quality as 458. AMG has similar fit/finish but some plastic in the hatch and roof, but the camera/ipad display were way better.

getting in and out is similar to the huracan but totally manageable, i tried the MP12c and that was a nightmare so the lower sills are a blessing, and comfort access automatically backs seat and steering wheel out so you have maximum clearance. the doors are simply beautiful and effortless to open/close, i have no idea what people are complaining about taking too much effort. i don't slam them but even with a normal close it doesn't trigger the soft-close function

the gas pedal throttle does feel mushy compared to Huracan or 458 and slightly more mushy than the GTS. you have to push further down to get that power but after a while you do so and it's pretty lively. same is true for the brake pedal travel, you have to push further to engage properly and for a dead stop it does take more effort than what i am used to. best way i can describe it is i could drive my other cars with my big toe pushing, but in the Mclaren you need to use the whole front of the foot.

does feel laggy under 3000rpms unless you mash pedal from the start and there is turbo kick for sure much more than the AMG, and when it hits it feels more powerful even though both cars have similar torque

turbo sound is very prevalent, spooling up and down, the whine, it's not bad sounds very futuristic. the AMG i couldn't even hear the turbos, and this probably has to do with the engine placement. mine doesn't have sport exhaust so it sounds ok from outside, but it's not the low menacing rumble of the AMG it's more medium sounding. sounds like huracan without sport exhaust at idle. ferrari noises are louder and higher pitched whine. no cracks or burbles no overruns i guess Mclaren doesn't approve of wasted fuel lol!

handling/suspension i feel very similar to both 458 and huracan and slightly better than AMG in comfort mode, sport mode is about the same as AMG comfort, and track mode is like AMG sport handling... there is nothing as bone jarring as AMG race mode. the front lip height is higher than huracan and is about the same as 458, and the lift system works slowly about 10s but it works. the car maneuvers fine at low speeds tight turning parking which is a win over the huracan skipping AWD.

steering feels light to me even at higher speeds but it isn't wobbly at all. i would say it's more sharp than the AMG and little less than the 458/huracan. AMG had a heavier feel all around at low and high speeds.

that's all for now i'll add more as it comes to me
    for sure it's a better car than the huracan and just different from the AMG but it feels more special, the driving position, the mid-engine, the doors, and i like the looks! it does remind me of the first few days in my 458 spider believe it or not! i'm very happy with my choice so far.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. colonels

colonels Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    it's not bad at all, obviously a little more distracting than black dash but nothing drastic, what was a little annoying is driving with the sun shining through trees it creates a flickering effect where the tan dash keeps getting reflected on windshield 10 times a second... but with constant direct sun not a problem at all

what is going to be a problem is there is no sun shade for pano roof... and it started to feel like a greenhouse with all the light even when outside temp was only 73F... i may have to buy one of those cheesy stick on shades for the roof.

4. colonels

colonels Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    you really need to drive both and decide for yourself

for me, i choose the 570GT but i already had a 458 for 2 years and it was probably the best exotic i have owned to date... just older now. the 570GT is newer and it feels it, and has the benefit of 3 years warranty. read my summary few posts above. can't go wrong with either!

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Rookie

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Many thanks!

Re: pano roof, you might consider a film treatment to block more UV. Might help make it more tolerable...

SV

6. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Global Moderator
    Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    McLaren, I believe ;)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. IPO1

IPO1 1st Subscribed User
    Owner

Dec 23, 2015
    #31 IPO1, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    You are reviving some old threads...2017 :rolleyes:

9. aaronrgonz

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Just doing the lords work. :D

10. IPO1

IPO1 1st Subscribed User
    Owner

Dec 23, 2015
    Well maybe the lord could revive more recent threads...amen.

11. docapl

docapl Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    4000 miles and still loving this 570GT

Attached Files:

aaronrgonz likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The GT looks really good and if you buy a slightly loved one- great value. You can’t get the exotic looks of a 570 for the mid to high 100k range.

I didn’t care for the turbo lag when I drove one but I think I was in the wrong driving mode.

14. Nik

Nik Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nik Wolch
    Driving a 570GT, although we've only had a few weeks with it as we got it late in to the year and had to put her in to storage for the winter months. The only issues I have with the vehicle are the extremely poor back-up camera, and adjusting the seats is more complex then it needs to be. Those are my only two flaws with the vehicle, other than that it has blown our expectations out of the water... Wow... What a car!!

15. aaronrgonz

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Seems to be a a somewhat fair trade off. ;)

Nik likes this.
  16. aaronrgonz

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    What is the official color of that navy? I like it a lot.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Times have changed. When did the relative merits of a back up camera become a factor in a mid engined, exotic? :)

Nik and SoCal to az like this.
  18. docapl

docapl Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The 570GT is Storm Grey and the 720S is Saros Blue.

aaronrgonz likes this.
  19. vracer

vracer Rookie

Feb 18, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Don't forget - there are always newcomers. I'm one, probably the newest, as I just signed up a few minutes ago. I'm in the market for a 570GT, and all info is good into.

20. vracer

vracer Rookie

Feb 18, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Is this "dealer's rep" an expert, or a salesman? When he couldn't sell me his 570GT, he tried to get me interested in an S. He said that is a much better car without the glass top. The dealers are told that the top glass should NOT have a tinted film applied because that will increase the heat of the glass, and it will break. (I had been thinking that would be, at least, a partial fix for the heat.) Furthermore, he said that the S can be "almost" as comfortable as the GT while being used as an every day "around town" driver.

Keep the shiny side up,
    Richard