Is the McLaren GT a failure ? | McLarenChat
News

Is the McLaren GT a failure ?

Discussion in 'GT' started by F456 V12, Nov 18, 2019.

1. F456 V12

F456 V12 Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This is not meant to troll anyone, but the lack of discussion on McLaren Life and McLaren Chat seem to indicate very low interest. My local dealer in Newport Beach has already had at least two coming out parties and sends me weekly invites to drive their demo car. I would be interested to know what owners and potential owners have to say, reviews by the mags and Youtuber's mostly favorable, but I think expectations were much higher in the performance end...maybe car enthusiast are not yet ready for a mid engine GT car and the guys at AM, Bentley and Ferrari can sleep well.

Somewhat off topic - To be honest, my wife an I were quite interested in putting down a deposit, but at least for me when the new C8 was introduced, a lot of my interest towards a GT car shifted away from the McLaren GT. I figure that Z06 version will be at least 1/2 the cost of a Mac GT and far easier to get serviced on long trips. [I am close to self imposed retirement and want to drive the USA]

MB

Booker likes this.
  2. Night life

Night life Rookie
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 1, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto Giannini
    I think the car has huge potential and probably will attract a certain market, but it is not the prettiest looking imo, I have yet to see one in person though. When you spend that sort of money you want to be fully happy with your choice, there is no question that it will be powerful, excellent fit n finish, ride quality will be sublime but is that enough? Having owned 2 Macs now I know this will be an excellent car but pictures make it look sort of generic, I hope the lines look better in person.

3. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think the McLaren GT was released a little early, as Mac is still establishing and expanding their dealer network. I see the GT as a direct competitor to the Audi R8 and access to various audi dealers is clearly a huge plus for that car. McLaren is moving it's home base to Texas early next year, so I think McLaren should have marketed their dealer network heavily and then relased the GT after changing headquarters... just my 2 cents

4. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #2 Ingenere, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019

Go drive the McLaren and the case will be closed. All the rest are just excuses.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Rookie
    Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I want to look at the GT but since you can't see the engine, I am looking more seriously at a used 570S.

I have a C7 Z06, fantastic car. Saw the C8 in Bowling Green at the museum's 25th anniversary: that is a great car at a great price. I will get one in a couple of years, but I want the McLaren first

6. Robb

Robb Rookie
    Lifetime Premium

Feb 28, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Robb Williamson
    Bottom line is its not a pretty car. I would opt for a 570 or 600 way before the gt. The gt looks like a miss match of design pieces (that are a bit choppy) rather than a complete design. The Senna also has the same visual problem. If you like the looks of those then more power to ya. :)

Robb

7. Wings

Wings Rookie

Jan 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Anthony Jones
    I drove the GT the other day. The brake pedal travel is too long before engaging. Annoying. The gas pedal seems too have too much travel before you get to wide open. Had to sit a little closer to the wheel than I like to reach theseand I am 5:10"
    Glass roof has no way to block out the hot sun. Big fail there I think. A simple thin pull cover would make all the difference. Less heat coming in and less glare. Not impressed with the way you store the luggage on top of the engine. Sales guy said it will not get hotter than 100 degrees. During some spirited driving went over small hole/depression and the right rear of the car bottomed out. Looks wises it was not bad but for that kind of money I would want more. I was hoping to like this car but it came up short for me. Now the 720S was much better!! but $$$

Robb likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Rookie
    Lifetime Premium

Feb 28, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Robb Williamson
    I saw it in person at McLaren Scottsdale. I’m still not enjoying the belt line on the nose and side vents. 570 much better looking gt...

Looked very long.

I doubt it sells very many out of all their models. But I wish them success overall.

Robb

9. slm

slm Rookie
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 5, 2004
    Ozark Americana
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I do like the looks and the concept. I can’t wait for one to hit the resale market in a bit so I can pick one up for my daily driver!

10. drkillabrew

drkillabrew Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Woodson
    It will be interesting to see cumulative sales numbers when the first year of sales is over. There seem to be a lot more popping up into dealer inventory now. I personally like the lines, and there are some color and wheel combos that significantly enhance the overall aesthetic. But I think too much focus was placed on cargo capacity. I think most buyers in this range prefer to have the engine on display, rather than worrying about whether their golf clubs will fit in the rear hatch (and apparently get annealed in the process...). At this point, you can get into a decent used '18 or even '19 720S for the same money, and for me, at least, that choice is a no-brainer.

11. slm

slm Rookie
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 5, 2004
    Ozark Americana
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Maybe I am an anomaly, but I am not all that interested in seeing the engine. You cannot see the engine in any spider made now such a s from McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. To me, having a high performance mid-engined sports car with enough luggage space for my wife and I to go for a long weekend and is comfortable doing it is quite appealing.