Extended warranty vs. leaking shocks | McLarenChat
News

Extended warranty vs. leaking shocks

Discussion in 'Sport Series (570S, 540C, 570GT, 600LT)' started by Ken J, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Ken J

Ken J Rookie

Dec 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Jack
    I picked up a 2017 570GT at the end of 2017 with about 3,000 miles. Love the car. Fast forward - the first annual service was fine. This year before it went in, I noticed the driver-rear and passenger-front shocks are leaking. Car hasn’t been tracked or even driven hard (maybe it has 5,500 miles now). McLaren said they’ll replace the two shocks under warranty. I asked why not the other two (as an engineer, my sense is there’s maybe something up with the batch and I’d think they’d do shocks in pairs). They said they only replace what’s failed. Warranty will be up later this summer and they want me to buy a 1 or 2 year extension (quote seems high for what others here have posted). I feel like I’m getting hosed to either buy the extended warranty or end up buying the two shocks when they eventually go.

I knew this wasn’t a “cheap” car to operate, but anyone have a similar experience or experience dealing with McLaren (corporate) maybe?

Anyone have any experience as to how higher mileage 570 hold up? My sense was the gearbox issues were better sorted than the MP4-12C and less complicated suspension - would mean a more reasonably reliable model.

Seriously thinking to unload it when the new 911 Turbo is available :-(